Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Carrot Sticks

This ain't about food.
This has more to do with motivating our employees & resources to achieve project goals. Oftentimes, managers choose between a carrot (providing rewards and incentives) and a stick (providing penalties) to ensure project success. Some managers often have a preferences depending on their very own nature. They normally tend to go with what they themselves see as their very own motivating factor. In reality, both carrots and sticks are needed, although in most situations, a carrot is more appropriate. Sticks are used when situations call for more drastic measures and the opportunity to reach for the carrot becomes futile.
It is quite unfortunate for me (and more unfortunate for my teams) that I am now required to pull out my stick. I'm still hoping for the best though but am constantly preparing for the worst.

No comments: